Genotype-Environment Interaction and Stability Analysis for Grain Yield of Potato (Solanumtuberosum L.) genotypes

Authors

  • Mohammed Beriso Sinana Agricultural Research Center, Oromia Agricultural Research Institute
  • Getachaw Asefa Sinana Agricultural Research Center, Oromia Agricultural Research Institute

Keywords:

AMMI, ASV, yield, biplot, genotypes, GxE interaction, PCA

Abstract

Yield data of 12 potato (Solanumtuberosum L.) genotypes tested across 9 rain-fed environments during the 2007-2009 growing season using RCBD in 3 replications were analyzed using the AMMI model. The AMMI analysis tested in nine environments (years) were showed that the yield was significantly affected (P< 0.001) by genotypes and environment main effects as well as GxE interaction. The model revealed that differences between the environments accounted for about 57.73% of the treatment sum of squares. The genotypes and the GxE interaction also accounted significantly for 16.87 % and 25.41% respectively of the treatment SS. The first principal component axis (PCA 1) of the interaction captured 56.44% of the interaction sum of squares. Similarly, the second principal component axis (PCA2) explained a further 13.67% of the GEI sum of squares. The mean squares for the PCA 1 and PCA 2 were significant at P =0.01 and cumulatively contributed to 70.11% of the GxE interaction SS, leaving 29.89% of the variation in the GxE interaction in the residual. The AMMI and AMMI stability value (ASV) identified G3 and G12 as the stable and high yielding genotypes.

Published

2020-07-20

How to Cite

Beriso, M., & Asefa, G. . (2020). Genotype-Environment Interaction and Stability Analysis for Grain Yield of Potato (Solanumtuberosum L.) genotypes. Scientific Journal of Crop Science, 9(4). Retrieved from http://sjournals.com/index.php/sjcs/article/view/1524

Issue

Section

Original Article